Did you know how many words in Arabic are almost identical to words with the same meeting in Hebrew? I heard it once or twice, but it's so true. In fact, my professor thinks that I might be lying about being a beginner because I know the alif baa and remember most of the words like ra's and arnab.
Class list:
Colloquial Arabic ('Amiyya)
Modern Standard Arabic (FusHa)
Introduction to Islam
The Environment and Politics of Water
...Potential Internship
The water class could become an audit once my internship works out. Sometimes I kinda think that if the internship didn't work for me, cause of scheduling or whatever, despite the amount of work I've put into finding all of these organizations and the program has in getting me interviews, it would be easier to have a lighter schedule. Plus, I would have more time to do everything I want! Go to the gym, do all the language/culture clubs, explore parts of the city, etc.
Internship options:
International Solutions Group
not sure what they'd have me do, but their work sounds great
The King Hussein Foundation
potential to assist English/science teachers and do other work at a high school for gifted kids, mostly from poor areas of the city
One of many journalism options
So the options sound great, which is why I'm very excited if any of them work out. But either way, I like all the classes as well. Day 2 tomorrow, should be nice because Mon/Wed I get out early (for now, until I fill those hours with internshipness), so we're looking for ISPs to see if we can get internet in the apartment as well as finding gyms near the university to see about memberships.
Araka qariban!
--Ibrahim
Sunday, September 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
hiya pookie! it is so nice to read your blog and feel a part of your experience. if you do end up taking the class on the politics of water (¡que interesante!) i'd love to hear about it.
ReplyDeletekeep on keepin' on... te echo de menos MUCHO.
un beso.