While Mount Nebo is incredibly guarded and cared for, unfortunately Moses Springs and the building built by it are covered in graffiti. The bedouins nearby bring their goats and lambs to drink from the spring, which goes through some small crevices in the polluted rocks until it falls down a beautiful, green, viny waterfall into a small stream. Here are some photos from the trip, which was ridiculous.




After getting ripped off and abandoned at Mount Nebo, we explored as the place emptied out. We felt very alone, and a man working there called someone to offer us a ride to Moses Springs and take us back to Ma'adaba, our waypoint to 3mman. Our driver, Ahmed, spoke very little English and enjoyed throwing rocks at Jackie while yelling "ta3li!" as she trekked through the rocks in flip flops on a swollen ankle (not my story to tell).
We didn't get R'ed in the desert, nor did any of the questionable cars break down. I drank from the well, of course, and so far, no dysentery--at least no more than I already may have had. It was such an experience getting to be there, though, and drink from the water that may be flowing because God himself made it! Amazing to think that thousands of years ago, the Jews were wandering through that exact same spot. And here I am! Wandering! THE WANDERING JEW IN THE SANDS OF ARABIA. Hehe, I like that.
Well, my friends, I have a quiz tomorrow in Level 2 Arabic, yay for me for kicking my butt and skipping Intro. Domestic Domonday was tonight, 3rd one, and we are just getting better and better at this whole dinner party thing. Oh, and I joined a gym so I am feeling healthy and active. Adios amigos,
--Ibrahim
PS - See the rest of my photos from the weekend.
No comments:
Post a Comment