



From right to left, cause that's how we do it in the Middle East, we got Jackie, Shane, Tania, Andrew, and myself. It was a really nice day, despite the beating sun and the confusing transportation--Jerash = the place where everyone wants your money and thinks that they can get it. Sometimes they can, yikes.
Things have been nice, still awaiting classes and receiving private lessons from Rasha, so my 'amiyya is progressing exponentially by the day. I have to join a gym this week because although I work out a little in the apartment, I need a structure in which I allot time to really working out. Otherwise, I get exhausted and cannot focus for a chunk of the day. So it's between staying active and napping a bit, and I choose the former.
Ramadan. I can't say enough about how hard it is to not feel guilty eating in the day, and it's so stressful trying to sneak water because you feel like people can see you in your apartment or you cannot find a quiet and hidden area to sip it quickly. If you look here, you will see the rest of the photos from today and how much water we managed to sneak throughout our first adventure outside of the capital city.
An interesting dilemna:
Last night my friend, who is part Arab, suggested that I just tell people I'm Arab when they tell me that I look Arab and then ask to find out my name is Ibrahim. I don't necessarily feel like I look Arab, but everyone just assumes, especially when they hear my name. I told her I am not comfortable saying that because of a few reasons. First of all, I am not Arab, and even if the Jews did come from this region and particular race of people, many people would not accept that we are of Arab descent. Semitic, but that does not have the same cultural weight as Arab. And second, I'd feel guilty saying that I'm Arab. Because then it's the whole are you Muslim question, and if not then I'm Christian, and I just feel icky because I'm neither. It is an identity thing, and I cannot lie about what I am, but I cannot simply say it. So I say that I am American, and nobody is particularly satisfied with this answer because I'm just too ... Arab for them to accept this. Whatado? Is it offensive to just say, yeah my family is Arab but I grew up in the US? I feel like it would be, despite them not knowing that it isn't true.
Either way, I'm getting to the point where a few of my Arab friends might find it interesting to know that I am Jewish. It's a discussion that will arise shortly, and I'm interested to see how it pans out.
Thanks for following me, guys, and do stay in touch. I know it's difficult that my Internet connection is so spotty, but I will have more access to email shortly when I start classes and am at the University nearly every day. Updates soon to come about my potential internship positions!
--Ibrahim

No comments:
Post a Comment