Tuesday, October 7, 2008

mumtaz

Hey everyone, it's me again. I should be asleep, but I'm kind of wired. Is it wrong that I update my American politics mainly through word of mouth, foreign newspapers, and this?



I hope not. Either way, anyone see Tina Fey do Sarah Palin lately? I thank Anna a ton for sharing me with that, cause wow that was a laugh.

Tomorrow I am taking the placement exam for the Arabic program here. It will not change my level, but it will show them that I am actually at a level higher than the one that I am in, insha'allah. I've been kind of frustrated with being portrayed incorrectly to the language program because I think they find me to be a) a freak and b) pushy. I feel bad being in my class because most of the other students don't want me to be there. I don't get called on because I know the answers.

Okay, I'm sorry for bragging or whatever, but this language is very similar to Hebrew. It's ridiculously similar in grammar and often vocabulary. I almost laugh when I hear words like samiin, which means fat, the Hebrew shamen. In addition, this is the fourth foreign language I have attempted. I have spoken to my professors privately, and they agree that I need something more. So I will most likely be getting private sessions and extra work, although I would rather sit in a more challenging class and have to complete the assignments for both levels; it is impossible for me to move levels officially because registration is closed, therefore I must complete the coursework for Level 2.

But tomorrow is my placement test, which will apparently mean nothing. I shall do my best, and I hope that that proves my ability to go at a faster pace.

Besides the language class frustration, I am getting better at Arabic daily! I speak in Arabic with friends at the university most of the time, rarely going into English. It's hard, but it's so worth it because I'm more and more comfortable with it. My comprehension is increasing a lot as well. Also, I feel great here. I've surrounded myself with the right people, and I feel great about that. I have a nice place, a good routine, I'm working out regularly, and I'm eating a ton----------

I lost 15 pounds since I've been here, and don't worry about me please. I think between Ramadan and the massive change, my body got hit. But Ramadan's over, and I am eating something at almost every waking moment. I am working out well, and I eat at least 3 or 4 meals a day. Double lunches because they're cheap and delicious. Dinner? Supersize me. Don't worry, healthy food as well. Very! The cuisine here is just right.

I made shakshouka last night for Domestic Domonday, and it was a massive success. Yom Kippur starts tomorrow evening, and we've got plans for it. I'm hosting break fast, and until sunset I will be in search of bagels. I love being a Jew in Amman, and I love getting to share that with my friends--Jews and non-Jews alike. Shana tova u'metukah, kul 3am u intum bikhair!!

More to come soon, thoughts on marriage and dating in Jordan.

--Ibrahim

3 comments:

  1. Bagles can be found at Plaza superstore in Shmeisani, close to the 4th Circle.
    Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean w/ the language class thing. It was exactly the same way w/ Swedish classes in Sweden - I always knew the answers and correct pronunciation when everyone else struggled. It's definitely a good idea for you to challenge yourself more.
    Have a wonderful Yom Kippur!
    I love you sweet pea :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i guess neither party wants to admit how close the two languages are

    tzom kal...i don't suppose there's an einsteins in amman

    ReplyDelete