Wednesday, August 27, 2008

hami

Well today was really hot, and I think you say that hami. That's also sexy, I believe, very taboo for a nice girl to be saying that to a boy here. The gender norms are definitely something to get used to here. A lot less for me to remember than for the ladies here. Some places are more Western, and you can tell just by looking around, but there are plenty of places that you can tell the local expectations apply.

The university is interesting because there are all kinds of cultural expressions--political t-shirts, ladies with hijabs, ladies in tank tops, men in traditional clothes, men in tight jeans. It's pretty cool, and a really nice campus. Helwe.

We had a scavenger hunt today, and I really liked my group. One girl was a rower, which was really fun. We found one of the only ergs in Jordan--it was crap, but it was an erg! It was a long, hot, and tiring day, as we walked forever in the wrong direction to find this random gym that anybody who makes less than a shitload of money would ever hear of. Well, between the heat and the walking and the hunger--we didn't eat lunch until later, as we wandered aimlessly--I became a bit blue.

It's not easy to feel Jewish here. I can talk to some of the participants about it. There are a few others as well--in fact, when I cut my hair a few people working with the program thought we were twins..you know..cause we all look the same. ;-) Well, there are so many things I am listening to that make a lot of things I have heard so much more human and understandable in a personal context. I have met dozens of Palestinians who live here, and some of them I am a bit close with but I still do not discuss my being Jewish. I discuss my travels to Israel with them, but I never speak too much about it. It's exactly what I've been looking for, this challenge to be a minority, against whom many prejudices exist here. It's not easy, it's sometimes really uncomfortable. Sometimes I think it would be easier to just cross the border and feel more comfortable, but that's a small voice which is completely drowned out by the desire and thirst to really endure and learn.

Learn what? Why am I here? I want to learn about this region from a truly different perspective, that is true. I want to see the looks on people's faces as they discuss these issues, hear the words that they use to retell history, and feel emotions with them as we go through it all. I want to learn Arabic. You know, I love learning languages, and this is a beautiful one with ancient roots. Speaking of roots, some of them are a bit easier to remember, thanks to my previously studying Greek... That's what we call it, you know, Greece, when we're discussing something in public. Some people get so confused, it's great.

Well, here's to a good night's sleep and finally learning tomorrow about where I'll be living for the next few months! L'chaim!

--Ibrahim

6 comments:

  1. this post was great...a look inside your head & a good way to try to grasp the experiences you've had thus far and will continue to have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abe, you are my hero. The end. Can't wait to keep following your journey. And maybe I'll even be one weekend of it? Here's to a great semester. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg ur blog is great! very interesting reads! ahhh now i'm under lots of pressure! i hope mine's as good and engaging!
    http://geoffreyfrance.blogspot.com/ btw... ill make my first post once in france...sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ib: Is that how we shorten your name? Good to save a character. Speaking of character, your "hami" blog shows lots. Ah, the sensitive, intellectual side; the wandering jew; a stranger in a strange land. You certainly don't sound blue. You sound pumped (in an understated way)! Can't wait to hear about the housing. DAD

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I only just discovered your blog (better now than in 6 months) and wanted to let you know i'll be reading it

    so far, i've been doing so much branvan with so little abe (or Ib, i guess, as ur going by now)...but i'm glad ur having such an exciting time there...and i'm taking your advice about talking to more people on the van, particularly international students...they really are so interesting

    ReplyDelete