Roomies: (left to right) Me, David, Andrew
How do you like our other living room?
The following image pretty much describes the difference in culture between what I'm used to and the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan:

So the other day I saw a music video, 4 chicks wearing tight clothes and singing, kinda like the Pussycat Dolls, but more covered up. Each of them singing individually with a guy there. The guy is not paying attention in any of the scenes, but in each scene the girl is either with a vacuum, mop, iron, or kitchen utensils. Basically, the song was about how the husbands don't pay attention to them, and the women were complaining.
Compare that to any given American group--half naked women dancing up on guys whose names they don't even know, let alone that they are married to. I feel that here, young people who are married see their wives sort of as how we would see a girlfriend at the same age, except for the whole permanence thing. The dust-graffiti is a perfect example, and I discussed this with the people that I was out with, we thought maybe in the States it would have said "I wish my girl was this dirty" or even better "I wish my ho was this dirty."
So here I am, in the Gloria Jean's Cafe across Madina Street, just near our apartment. We're in a really convenient part of town, and it's easy to get the wifi here--although it's slow, but for some reason does not lag on Skype. I'm doing my best to stay in touch, and now I have a more stable source of doing that. We're pretty close to the University, 3 minutes taxi and 30 minutes walking. Side note, this city was not made for walking in, especially with the erratic driving and lack of sidewalks/crosswalks. You kind of have to improvise. But either way, everything I need is closeby, and if I want to get somewhere else, there is an abundance of taxis on Madina Street or Garden's Street, which is just another minute's walk. Dwar Waha, my new neighborhood. Enjoy the rest of the pictures of my apartment!
--Ibrahim
Compare that to any given American group--half naked women dancing up on guys whose names they don't even know, let alone that they are married to. I feel that here, young people who are married see their wives sort of as how we would see a girlfriend at the same age, except for the whole permanence thing. The dust-graffiti is a perfect example, and I discussed this with the people that I was out with, we thought maybe in the States it would have said "I wish my girl was this dirty" or even better "I wish my ho was this dirty."
So here I am, in the Gloria Jean's Cafe across Madina Street, just near our apartment. We're in a really convenient part of town, and it's easy to get the wifi here--although it's slow, but for some reason does not lag on Skype. I'm doing my best to stay in touch, and now I have a more stable source of doing that. We're pretty close to the University, 3 minutes taxi and 30 minutes walking. Side note, this city was not made for walking in, especially with the erratic driving and lack of sidewalks/crosswalks. You kind of have to improvise. But either way, everything I need is closeby, and if I want to get somewhere else, there is an abundance of taxis on Madina Street or Garden's Street, which is just another minute's walk. Dwar Waha, my new neighborhood. Enjoy the rest of the pictures of my apartment!
--Ibrahim




No comments:
Post a Comment