Wednesday, June 3, 2009

eloquence

This is a much more eloquent response to the Haaretz article that I ranted about the other day about "natural growth."

I had completely forgotten about the rules that apply to the rest of civilization when I considered the case of the settlers because I had been convinced for a moment that I should not treat their situation like one involving normal people. However, I have met settlers, I have spent time with them, and -- brace yourselves -- I really like some of them. Very sweet people have fed me, given me a place to stay -- yes I have slept in a settlement -- and been very nice friends to me. We disagree politically, clearly, and it confuses me very much as to how the people that I have met who are very smart, nice, and seemingly moral people are able to make a logical conclusion to live there and raise their families there.

One time, at a meal in West Jerusalem, hamdulillah, I was speaking with a settler couple and a couple that was hosting all of us. The couple from the settlement were young, had small children, and were very fun and nice. The couple from West Jerusalem were also very nice and young, but the wife was much more militant in her speech. She assured me that she was "sure that there are good Arabs." <> excuse me, what? However, there are clearly many more, perhaps it's even in the larger culture, who are full of hate. <>

I just don't understand how a large community of Americans -- and all of the settlers and even that woman from Jerusalem were Americans originally -- that are raised in a society where racism is condemned and has been a central battle for decades in our country are able to reproduce the same kind of hatred that kindergarten teachers and Sesame Street have been preaching against for years.

Now I should concentrate on doing something as opposed to complaining about this situation and the unfairness that the settlers cause for all of us. I am halfway through my exams, and I cannot wait for Thursday, the day of freedom, mostly.

--Avraham

1 comment: