She is certainly one of the most sensational things to happen to Iran since Netenyahu's commitment to the US's negotiations policy toward the democratic Islamic republic.
Just look at her beautiful, large glasses. That knowing smile. The way she raises her arm up saying, "You can trust me in the Green Mosque." I may sound like I am jesting, but no, I'm serious.
Zahra Rahnavard, successful in academia and public affairs, is a prominent woman figure that is sweeping the people off their feet: Iran's Michelle Obama. If you compare photographs of the two ladies, you would find that they look very dissimilar, however they both possess a finesse that delivers the message of "you can trust me, after all, does it look like my husband's allowed to screw up?" They are powerful, independent, and important.
Zahra, however, speaks openly about the limitations on women in her country and the appalling effects of such policies, in a country where many outsiders may not know that the progressive culture is suppressed in the public image presented by the leaders of that society. It was not long ago that Iran was not on the top of everyone's political agenda as an archaic human rights offender, perhaps aided by the fact that the US was slaughtering millions in the Islamic Republic's neighboring states at the time, but even so.
So what can we learn from her and her public participation in her husband's campaign? Iranians identify with a beautiful unity between husband and wife, which shows us that their politics may not be too different from ours when it comes to campaigning for the people. The returns in their vote will tell us how important it is for Iranians to know their leaders' personal lives as well as how the Supreme Leader views such attempts to evoke empathy from the people. Maybe Mousavi is not the best candidate, but I must say his campaign is certainly one of the most sensational as far as I am concerned. Maybe my opinion is just skewed as I am a Westerner who read about it on CNN and it is an attempt to fool us in the West that things are moving back from extremism in Iran's leadership. Insha'allah the democratic aspect of their system wins over the authoritarian this time around, and if that means more of the same from them, I suppose I cannot impose my imperialist opinion on a fair democratic election (assuming it is such).
Keeping an eye on Iran, but an even closer one on Lebanon. Interesting times, for better or for worse.
--Avraham
Saturday, May 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment